Saturday 26 January 2013

Anchor Charts & Classroom Management

Hello! It's been a busy week! Lots of supply teaching days, I worked extra shifts at my other part-time job, and I'm FINALLY getting back into a workout routine. Before heading back to the gym this afternoon, I thought I'd squeeze in a blog post about some of my favourite classroom anchor charts.

Earlier this year, supply teaching was very slow. I don't like sitting around doing nothing - so on some of my days off I made anchor charts for my future classroom. I searched www.pinterest.com for inspiration, and found a few anchor charts that would have been very useful in my Grade 6 class last year. I took these ideas and made my own charts from scratch. I'll show you three of my faves.

The first one is  a voice level chart. If you've ever had a large class, you know how annoying it can be to keep saying "Use your indoor voice!" This chart has some neat names for its voice levels. I love the idea of "Spy Talk." I think my students would get a kick out of being 'spies' while they work.

The next chart is an assessment chart. I am a big proponent  of "self-assessment." I talk about it with my students all the time. This chart could be used at the end of a lesson on a post-it note as an exit activity. I'd have students write down where they are on the assessment scale and have them write one or two sentences about why they feel they are at that level.

Last but not least, I have a character education anchor chart. It's probably my favourite out of the three. I definitely could have used this last year. As you know, a Grade 6 class is at the beginning point of puberty. Emotions often run high, and blurting out comments without thinking is quite common.This chart allows students to 'think' before they speak. My favourite question is "Is it Inspiring?"

I laminated my anchor charts at Staples. NOT a good idea. While they turned out great, Staples costs an arm and a leg for laminating. It defeated the purpose of creating my own charts instead of buying them. So, if I make more charts in the future, I will be holding off on laminating until I am with a school that has a laminating budget.

Can't wait to make some more of these anchor charts! I'm always looking for inspiration...

2 comments:

  1. I have been teaching 5th grade for 4 years, and the THINK before you Speak chart can be very powerful! The sign I currently have is small, but my goal is to make something similar to what you posted! I love the other charts as well! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just ran into your post and love the charts.

    Thought I would share a laminating secret - just use clear repositionable contact paper - the kind you'd use for lining shelves. Make sure everything is clean first, work from the center, and if you screw up just peel up and do it again.

    ReplyDelete